Monday, June 2, 2014

Monday Musings: Keeping it real

I like to take pretty pictures of what we do. Or of our house. And I've been getting questions on how we keep the house so neat. So I thought a glimpse into another part of the house was in order:


This was the state of our study room a couple of weeks back when I was trying to clean it out. This room usually looks like an explosion has gone off in a bookstore or educational store. Given its current messy state, we hardly use this room, and we tend to just shove things in there to get things out of sight. It's still a work in progress. 

Our living room usually boasts a huge mountain of unfolded laundry on the sofa. There are toys scattered on the floor everywhere, and most days it is a struggle to get the boys to mind and help to clean up their messes. The dining table usually has a pile of half-opened mail, and books and toys and all manner of paper clutter. 

So why am I talking about all these messes? I just thought I should mention them, as a reminder that we are just perfectly ordinary people, with our ordinary messes (and a ginormous mess, looking at our study room, sobs!). Our home isn't totally organized or neat. You just tend to see the nicer, neater bits on the blog, because I love taking photos of the nicer, neater parts. It helps me to feel a little better, especially on crazy chaotic days, knowing that there are at least these nice little corners at home where the whole crazy whirlwind of life hasn't really left their mark. However, this blog is about the snippets of our life and what we do. And our life in general can be chaotic and messy, and at most times not picture-perfect, so I guess this post is just checking in and keeping it real. 

I'm no supermum, and our home's not "Home and Decor" picture-worthy. We have our beautiful messes. I'm still working on that study, and hopefully in time to come it'll be a room we could actually use. Meanwhile, let's celebrate the ordinary, and don't forget that what you see in blogs is just the lovely edited corners of someone's life!

Have a blessed week!

4 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean coz its what I do too. After all, who's interested to see a messy house :) But I try to remember that messy house but with a happy family living in it. Thanks for your honestly, I feel better now. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for keeping it real! Perhaps we should revisit the messy table IG game and see how we've all progressed haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Justina, thanks for keeping it real with this post. As I read it, I felt like you were describing my home too!! Like you, our sofa is used for piling laundry (folded or not); our study is a dumping ground (or satellite storeroom), and our dining table is half taken up by letters, paper and artworks. Hubby has issued me an ultimatum (July!) to get the study room in order for us to renovate it with more storage spaces and a retractable bed frame, or he will just start throwing things away blindly. Stress! Obviously I am the squirrel of the family, and he is not. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! Like me, cleaning and tidying have ranked down my list with the kids entrance.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...